The Liv-ex July Market Report has been published exclusively for members on our Silver package or above. The following is an extract.
*data taken on July 5th 2023.
All the major Liv-ex indices fell in June. The Liv-ex Fine Wine 1000 (the market’s broadest measure) experienced the biggest decline, falling 2.1% to close at 447. The Liv-ex Fine Wine 100 (the industry benchmark) and the Liv-ex Fine Wine 50 (which tracks Bordeaux First Growths) were down 2.9% and 2.4%, respectively. Prices falling across the board mean it is very much a buyer’s market at the moment. Active bidders may well be rewarded, as may sellers pricing their stock wisely. Various sections in this report highlight the importance of the secondary market in this risk-averse climate; savvy collectors can use it to spot opportunities and make the most of the situation.
Trade was down by both value and volume in June. The breadth of the market also declined slightly month-on-month, with 1,771 individual labels (LWIN 11s) traded on Liv-ex over the course of the past month. Out of the 100 wines in the index, 79 wines saw their prices fall, while 18 rose and 3 remained flat month-on-month.
Jane Anson (Inside Bordeaux) recently published a list of her top 30 value picks from the Bordeaux 2022 vintage. We’ve assessed some of the critics’ choices against their back vintages, using our Fair Value methodology where applicable, and highlighted instances where we believe there is value in purchasing En Primeur or where better value can be found in already physical wines.
The full report contains additional Liv-ex research and analysis:
- Barsac wines were among the biggest risers in the Liv-ex 1000 in June
- Technical Analysis of Cos d’Estournel 2010
- A look at Jane Anson’s top 30 value picks from the Bordeaux 2022 vintage
- The implications of Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux’s direct-to-consumer deal
- Looking at Figeac’s promotion and its En Primeur release price premium
Liv-ex members on our Silver package or higher can access the full report here.
To upgrade your package, click here or speak to your Account Manager.
* All Liv-ex indices are calculated using our Mid Price; the mid-point between the highest live bid and lowest live offer on the market. These are the firm commitments to buy and sell at that price; transactional data rather than list prices. It represents the actual trading activity of 630+ of the world’s leading fine wine merchants. Because Liv-ex doesn’t itself trade, this data is truly independent and reliable.