- The wine is being offered for £218 (12×75) SEP.
- “Full and layered,” according to James Suckling.
- As a bottled alternative, the 2016 looks to offer good value for money. Liv-ex members can find relevant Cantemerle opportunities on the exchange.
The 2020 Château Cantemerle has been released for €18 per bottle ex-négociant, up 7.1% on the 2019 release.
The international trade is offering the wine for £218 per 12×75, 1.9% more than the current Market Price of the 2019.
A score of 92 points or above from the Benchmark Critic Neal Martin will make today’s release on par with last year’s offering.
James Suckling awarded the 2020 Cantemerle wine a barrel range of 93-94. He noted there was “lots or richness and fruit for this winery, showing blackberry, blackcurrant and dark-chocolate character”.
Julia Harding MW, tasting for JancisRobinson.com, gave it 16+, and saying it was “really pretty”. She also noted that the tannins were “well integrated even now”.
Meanwhile, Lisa Perrotti-Brown MW (The Wine Advocate) gave it the lowest range of the major critics who have released their scores so far – 88-90. She noted, however, that “the 2020 Cantemerle reveals a great intensity and purity of blackcurrant cordial, stewed plums and black raspberry scents, plus hints of dried Provence herbs, Indian spices and woodsmoke”.
At this price level, the 2020 would look like an attractive offer if it receives a score of 92 points or above from the Benchmark Critic Neal Martin. Followers of Suckling will also find value in today’s release.
The 2019 also looks compelling with 92 points from Martin and is available at 1.8% discount.
Bottled vintages like the 2016 (NM 91) also offer good value for money, despite commanding a 10% premium.
The 2011, awarded 91 points from Robert Parker and costing 14% more, might attract buyers looking for an older vintage.
Over the past two days, the market has seen several Bordeaux En Primeur releases, including:
- La Croix de Gay 2020 offered at €25.2 per bottle ex-négociant this morning. It is expected to be offered at £350 per 12×75.
- La Fleur de Gay 2020 offered at €6 per bottle ex-négociant this morning. It is expected to be offered at £760 per 12×75.
- Le Petit du Ducru Beaucaillou 2020 offered at €8 per bottle ex-négociant this morning. The trade is offering it for £240 per 12×75.
- Kirwan 2020 offered at €30 per bottle ex-négociant, with a trade price of £360 per 12×75.
- Prieure Lichine 2020 offered at €2 per bottle ex-négociant and with a trade price of £304 per 12×75.
Our Bordeaux En Primeur 2020 page contains everything you need to know about this year’s campaign. You can also sign up for our daily En Primeur email alerts using the form below.