Our latest report, Bordeaux 2019: The magic is back, which offers a summary of this year’s En Primeur campaign, has now been published.
Key findings in the report:
- The Bordeaux 2019 campaign grabbed the market’s attention in a time of great uncertainty and considerable financial stress
- Using ‘Benchmark Critic’ scores, 2019 is the highest scoring vintage (on average) of the past 15 years
- Price cuts helped reawaken demand and rebuild faith in the system
- Big brands were often more fairly priced than the second and third tier wines
- The reduction of volumes released was a source of continued frustration and narrowed the opportunity for merchants to develop a new generation of buyers
- Merchants reported contrasting sales figures as part-time players saw an increase in sales, whereas En Primeur regulars reported sales drops considerably
- On average, merchant sales by value decreased versus 2018, while sales by volume increased
- An active secondary market developed, and for the first time in years, several wines are selling at a premium to release
For a time, this report, and others moving forward, will be available exclusively to Liv-ex members, who can obtain it via their Account Manager.
Liv-ex membership is open to merchants, wine shops, negociants, producers and wine funds. To find out more, please click here.
If you’re a private collector or investor, your wine merchant will have the report if they are a Liv-ex member. Please ask them for details.
Selected members of the press will also be granted access to the report. If you are a journalist and would like to request access, please click here.
Our opening En Primeur report, Bordeaux 2019: The value of time, published back in April, is now available to all. Click here to download you copy.