Liv-ex's family of indices are widely acknowledged to be the fine wine industry's leading benchmarks.
All of the indices are calculated using the Liv-ex Mid Price.
The Liv-ex Bordeaux 500 is Liv-ex's most comprehensive index and reflects trends in the wider fine wine market. It represents the price movement of 500 leading wines and is calculated monthly using the Liv-ex Mid Price. The index has been backdated to December 2003.
Download the full data series here
The Liv-ex Bordeaux 500 Index can be split into six sub-indices to make it easy to compare important sub-sectors of the Bordeaux market:
|First Growth 50
|Second Wine 50
|Left Bank 200
|Right Bank Super 50
|Right Bank 100
- The First Growth 50: Haut Brion, Mouton Rothschild, Lafite Rothschild, Latour and Margaux.
- The Right Bank Super 50: Petrus, Cheval Blanc, Lafleur, Le Pin and Ausone.
- The Second Wine 50: Bahans/Clarence Haut Brion, Petit Mouton, Carruades Lafite, Forts Latour and Pavillon Rouge.
- The Sauternes 50: Climens, Coutet, Rieussec, Suduiraut and Yquem.
- The Right Bank 100: Angelus, Clos Fourtet, Conseillante, Eglise Clinet, Evangile, Figeac, Fleur Petrus, Pavie, Troplong Mondot and Vieux Chateau Certan.
- The Left Bank 200: Beychevelle, Calon Segur, Cos d'Estournel, Ducru Beaucaillou, Duhart Milon, Grand Puy Lacoste, Gruaud Larose, Haut Bailly, Lagrange St Julien, Leoville Barton, Leoville Las Cases, Leoville Poyferre, Lynch Bages, Mission Haut Brion, Montrose, Palmer, Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande, Pontet Canet and Talbot.
Download the full list of component wines and vintages here
The Liv-ex Bordeaux 500 is Liv-ex's most comprehensive index and reflects trends in the wider fine wine market. It represents the price movement of 500 leading wines and is calculated monthly using the Liv-ex Mid Price. It has been backdated to December 2003.
The index comprises six sub-indices: the Fine Wine 50, the Right Bank 50, the Second Wine 50, the Sauternes 50, the Right Bank 100 and the Left Bank 200.
- 500 component wines - the last ten “physical” vintages of each qualifying label.
- Components are added in June of the year they become physical (2009s added in June 2012), and are removed after ten years (1999s removed in June 2012).
- Each component is represented by one 12x75cl case.
- The component price is calculated using the Liv-ex Mid Price. The Mid Price is the most robust measure for pricing wines available in the market (see the full Liv-ex Mid Price methodology ).
- The index is price weighted.